Bee Fire burns in Santa Clarita area near former Powerhouse Fire
SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (KABC) -- A brush fire broke out near Santa Clarita Friday afternoon. Fire crews remain on alert as smoldering embers cover the ground.
The major flames are gone, which is a far different picture from the afternoon when the blaze broke out in Bee Canyon near Santa Clarita.
"You could see the fire coming up over the hill and heading towards those power poles," said Clyde Baxter of Green Valley.
The "Bee Fire" erupted around 5 p.m. along San Francisquito Canyon Road near Los Angeles County Fire Camp 14. Officials said the fire has burned 80 acres. San Francisquito Canyon Road has been closed.
The tinder dry brush in the Angeles National Forest went up in an instant. At least one outbuilding was destroyed as crews battled to save several homes tucked into the canyon.
Flames 50 to 60 feet high roared along the roadside. Aircraft hit the fire hard from above as mother nature suddenly helped stop the flames from spreading.
"The fire was racing up canyon and up to the top of these ridge lines and continued to do so until it reached the point up above us here where it hit a ridge line and the wind shifted, pushing the fire back towards itself," said Nathan Judy with the U.S. Forest Service.
Crews were working on putting out the hot spots and getting a solid line around the blaze. They said it was 5 percent contained as of 11 p.m. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
The blaze is burning near the where the Powerhouse Fire broke out earlier this summer, destroying dozens of homes and outbuildings.
fire, brush fire, wildfire center, leanne suter
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Green cars for rent at niche LA-based company
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report