Silver Fire: 100 percent contained; 20,000+ acres burned
CABAZON, Calif. (KABC) -- Fire crews in Riverside County say the Silver Fire is 100 percent contained after scorching more than 20,000 acres.
The fire has destroyed 48 homes near Cabazon, including 26 residences, 1 commercial building and 21 outbuildings. Eight other structures were damaged by flames.
Since the blaze erupted Wednesday afternoon, it had grown to 20,292 acres. At its peak, evacuations were ordered on 1,500 homes.
Eleven firefighters and one civilian have been injured. Some 1,400 firefighters on the lines this weekend made major progress after focusing on the hot spots.
The Pacific Crest, Marion Mountain and Seven Pines hiking trails remain closed. Marion Mountain, Fern Basin, Dark Canyon, Black Mountain and Boulder Basin campgrounds are also closed.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
riverside county, fire, brush fire, cal fire, wildfire center
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour