Silver Fire: 100 percent contained; 20,000+ acres burned
CABAZON, Calif. (KABC) -- Fire crews in Riverside County say the Silver Fire is 100 percent contained after scorching more than 20,000 acres.
The fire has destroyed 48 homes near Cabazon, including 26 residences, 1 commercial building and 21 outbuildings. Eight other structures were damaged by flames.
Since the blaze erupted Wednesday afternoon, it had grown to 20,292 acres. At its peak, evacuations were ordered on 1,500 homes.
Eleven firefighters and one civilian have been injured. Some 1,400 firefighters on the lines this weekend made major progress after focusing on the hot spots.
The Pacific Crest, Marion Mountain and Seven Pines hiking trails remain closed. Marion Mountain, Fern Basin, Dark Canyon, Black Mountain and Boulder Basin campgrounds are also closed.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
riverside county, fire, brush fire, cal fire, wildfire center
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Japan tsunami disasters: 3rd anniversary
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die 24 min ago
- OTRC: Taylor Swift: Billboard's No. 1 money maker