State budget. State and local government. Initiative constitutional amendment and statute.
- Establishes two-year state budget cycle.
- Prohibits Legislature from creating expenditures of more than $25 million unless offsetting
revenues or spending cuts are identified.
- Permits Governor to cut budget unilaterally during declared fiscal emergencies if Legislature fails to act.
- Requires performance reviews of all state programs.
- Requires performance goals in state and local budgets.
- Requires publication of bills at least three days prior to legislative vote.
- Allows local governments to alter how laws governing state-funded programs apply to them, unless Legislature or state agency vetoes change within 60 days.
More from the California Secretary of State's website.