Mexican Consulate Offers Appointments for Passport Seekers
01/25/2007 (KFSN) -- Two days ago, new homeland security regulations went into effect that requires Americans, Canadians and Mexicans to show a valid passport when arriving in the U.S. by air.
The hundreds of Mexican Nationals waiting in line night after night in Fresno to get a passport can now make a toll free telephone call instead.
1-877-MEXITEL or 1-877-639-4835
Clovis Resident Maria Pinedo is a Mexican citizen living permanently in the U.S. So is her husband who is flying to Mexico in February. She's trying to get an appointment for him while he's at work.
Maria Pinedo says, "If you know you can't come back without the passport you're gonna do whatever it takes."
Mexican consul Martha Alvia Rosas tells Action News she convinced the Mexican Government to open a hotline for the estimated quarter of a million of its citizens living in Central California. She says, "They make an appointment, they get information then they have everything ready."
The information and appointments should take care of those waiting in line overnight.
The hotline is actually in Mexico City. It operates in five major U.S. cities, but this is the only consulate in California with access to it.
Rosas says, "Right now you call, you can make an appointment: The 5th through the 9th."
With the proper paper work, Rosas says the applicant will walk out with a passport the same day. For Maria Pinedo the hotline appointment process comes too late. Her husband's flight is on the 5th of February
Pinedo said she was going to call to insure she has the right papers.
Rhe key is bringing the right documents and photos to your appointment in order to get a passport that day.
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Photos: 16th-century 'rocket cat' weaponry pictures
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Growers discuss issues at Citrus Showcase
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- George Radanovich to announce he won't run for governor
- Business leaders discuss drought impact
- Fresno man pleads guilty to murdering father
- Accuweather Forecast
15 min ago