No Child Left Behind
KFSN (KFSN) -- Governor Schwarzenegger wants to offer more help to nearly one hundred California school districts struggling to meet the federal "No Child Left Behind" goals.
The list of 98 districts includes Fresno, Madera, and Visalia Unified, as well as the Merced city elementary school district.
Mitchell Senior Elementary here in Atwater failed to meet government mandated goals for five years in a row. But now administrators have restructured the school's classes, and the changes appear to be paying off.
These 7th and 8th grade students may be years away from college, but the university system is already making its mark on the Mitchell Senior Elementary Campus.
When school started three months ago, students were divided into four smaller groups that are all named after different UC Mascots. Each so called college has seven core teachers and no more than 200 students.
Andrew Kersten, Mitchell Senior Elem. Principal: "All of the teachers check in with students on a daily basis. They mentor those students."
Principal Andrew Kersten says the re-structuring also stresses more contact with parents through daily phone calls, emails, and one-on-one meetings.
Kersten: "We expect to make over 3000 contacts home to the community, mostly positive, this year."
Denise Frazier says she appreciates the updates on her daughter.
Denise Frazier: "It's her first year here and it's been a good experience. We've received emails from the teachers letting us know her progress, notes home when she does well."
Administrators say the efforts are already getting results. Overall discipline referrals are down 24 percent this year while attendance, grade point averages, and both student and parent participation are all up.
Kersten: "On our report card night a college called every one of their parents, and we had almost 70% turnout of parents, which in a middle school is extraordinary."
The changes here at Mitchell are part of a 3 year plan, and the principal says at the end of that time, the school expects to be meeting all federal requirements.
local, sara sandrik
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting 8 min ago
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Fresno State men's basketball to play in CBI tourney 25 min ago
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
- 2.8-magnitude earthquake hits Coalinga area
- Runners hit streets for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- Clovis sting busts adults buying alcohol for minors
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Oprah Winfrey to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly...
12 min ago