LA man kills wife, 5 children, himself
WILMINGTON, Calif. -- A father apparently distraught over job problems shot and killed his wife and five young children and then committed suicide at their home Tuesday, police said. The victims included two sets of twins.
The bodies were found when police responded to a report of a shooting in progress in the Wilmington area shortly before 8:30 a.m., Officer Sam Park said. The bodies were found throughout the McFarland Avenue house.
The victims were not immediately identified. Deputy Chief Kenneth Garner said the man killed his wife, an 8-year-old girl, twin 5-year-old daughters and twin 2-year-old sons. He then killed himself.
A revolver was found at the home.
"He was despondent, clearly, over his job situation," Garner said.
Either before or after killing his family, the man sent a two-page typewritten letter to KABC-TV, Garner said. The Burbank-based television station called police in that suburb, Garner said.
The TV station did not publicly release the note, but Garner described its content.
"Obviously he wanted somebody to find the bodies," Garner said.
"In the note, he clearly said he was going to kill himself, his wife and his kids," Garner said.
Garner said he didn't exactly know the man's job situation, but "it wasn't going well at work."
"Today our worst fear was realized," Garner said. "It's just not a solution. There's just so many ways you find alternatives to doing something so horrific and drastic as this."
The two-story home, much larger than its one-story neighbors, sits in front of a railroad track. A children's playset stood in the backyard and a pickup truck and sport utility vehicle were parked in the concrete front yard.
Wilmington, about 18 miles south of downtown, is a 10-square-mile community adjacent to the Port of Los Angeles.
(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Two killed in shooting near Exeter 25 min ago
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
- Police say 5 dead in Calgary stabbings
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- China's growth slows to 7.4 percent in 1Q
- Bank of America posts loss, hurt by legal expenses
- Riverdale man is the newest lottery millionaire