Kerman Teen Killed After Being Hit by Classmates Car
Kerman, Calif. (KFSN) -- Officers are investigating to see if a cell phone might have been the cause of an accident that killed a Kerman High School student.
17-year-old Berenice Rodriguez was killed when the car driven by her classmate 18-year-old Anna Neuarez drifted off the road.
Officers said Neuarez over-corrected and crossed lanes and was broadsided by an oncoming car.
Two teenage boys who were also in the vehicle tell officers Neuarez was reaching for a ringing cell phone when the accident happened.
Many classmates and friends are still in shock over Rodriguez's death.
CHP said they are still investigating the cause of the crash, and if the driver was distracted by her cell phone she could face manslaughter charges.
kerman, local, deshaunta bullock
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Video: Take a tour of the 'smartphone home'
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident