Hearing Begins in Kerman Double Murder Case
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- For the first time the six suspects accused of killing a Kerman couple appeared in a Fresno County courtroom Monday. Detectives said testimony from two suspects show a detailed plan to steal drugs and valuables.
During the preliminary hearing detectives described a plan where some of the six accused of murder met the night before they attempted to rob Gary and Sandy DeBartolo in their Kerman home.
The five men and one woman each face two counts of murder and two counts of home invasion robbery. Some face additional charges.
The lead Detective Sergio Toscano testified Monday that information from two suspects helped break their case wide open. Jose Reyes -- allegedly admitted he entered the DeBartolo's home with 42-year-old Leroy Johnson who was carrying a knife. The break-in took a violent turn when the DeBartolo's would not cooperate.
At the time of the robbery, the DeBartolo's home was under surveillance by Fresno County Gang Units. After finding the DeBartolo's bodies, detectives discovered a marijuana growing operation inside their home. Detectives said this may have been the reason the couple in their sixties were targeted.
The preliminary continues Tuesday and then a judge will decide on whether to send the case to trial.
crimetracker, court, kerman, fresno county, local, deshaunta bullock
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet 2 min ago
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week