Merced Police Shoot and Kill Attacking Dog
MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Merced man remains in the hospital Friday morning after being attacked by a pit bull.
Police say the dog attacked the man Thursday as he was walking down the street. When officers arrived, they say the dog became aggressive towards them, so they shot and killed it.
The dog's owner questions whether police needed to use deadly force. "It's pretty crazy that this all happened. I'm still shocked and confused you know," said Ricky Ramirez.
Andre Matthews with the Merced Police Department said, "We're encouraging dog owners to be responsible because when they're not, it can lead to incidents like this. We're talking about proper fencing, leash laws and keeping vicious dogs maybe tethered in their yard"
The dog's owner claims the man who was attacked by his dog was actually the aggressor because he trespassed onto his property.
It's the third time, police had to shoot a dog over a month's time.
- Authorities look for missing woman and daughter 42 min ago
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Silent Sleigh and Mandela Controversy
- Police say internet cafe doubled as gambling house
- '12 Years,' 'Hustle' lead Globes nominations
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- US unemployment aid applications surge to 368,000
- Merced Co. District Attorney Warns of IRS Phone Scam
- Walking Dead actress admits sending ricin to Obama
- Grieving Merced husband and father talks to ABC30
- 3 rescued from Fresno apartment fire
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Farmers markets hit by freeze
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos