Merced Police Shoot and Kill Attacking Dog
MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Merced man remains in the hospital Friday morning after being attacked by a pit bull.
Police say the dog attacked the man Thursday as he was walking down the street. When officers arrived, they say the dog became aggressive towards them, so they shot and killed it.
The dog's owner questions whether police needed to use deadly force. "It's pretty crazy that this all happened. I'm still shocked and confused you know," said Ricky Ramirez.
Andre Matthews with the Merced Police Department said, "We're encouraging dog owners to be responsible because when they're not, it can lead to incidents like this. We're talking about proper fencing, leash laws and keeping vicious dogs maybe tethered in their yard"
The dog's owner claims the man who was attacked by his dog was actually the aggressor because he trespassed onto his property.
It's the third time, police had to shoot a dog over a month's time.
- Community bands together for Officer Jon Linzey 23 min ago
- High court upholds Delta Smelt protection
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- More than 400 guns were seized in SoCal
- Family headed to DC for father's Medal of Honor
- Valley Sikhs speak out on bullying report
- Police fight spike in Tower District crime
- Peach Blossom Festival growing each year
- Merced authorities see rise in honey oil explosions
- Musical mavericks make waves
- Pet Adoption of the Week: Lady Bug
- Fallout from Target's data breach
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno