Pot Dispensaries Reopen on Fresno County Islands
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Since the city of Fresno moved to ban medical marijuana dispensaries, they've closed in Fresno, but they're not as far away as you may think.
The "for lease" sign at one former Fresno medical marijuana dispensary doesn't mean dispensaries have gone away inside city limits.
Since the city shut down the pot collectives, "open" signs have turned on at new dispensaries, but on Fresno County islands.
"The city handled the problem in their jurisdiction and now the problem has moved to ours," said Fresno County Undersheriff Scott Jones.
County islands like Tarpey Village, Mayfair and Old Fig are right along Fresno city boundaries, but they're under county supervision.
And a map from the website legalmarijuanadispensary.com shows they're popular places for new pot collectives, much to the dismay of neighbors.
"It brings a lot of lower life people around here," said Andrew Dean, who lives near Ashlan and Clovis, not far from the new Earth Source and the new Green Valley Collective. "I can smell it, so I don't want to be outside because I exercise a lot and I don't want to be around it."
We tried to speak to owners at both stores, but they didn't want to talk about the situation.
The Sheriff's Department is talking about it, though.
They're working on a county ordinance banning medical marijuana storefronts, and they say the dispensary owners are making themselves targets -- not for law enforcement, but for law breakers who want their plants.
"They're worth $2,000 to $3,000 a plant on the street," said Undersheriff Jones. "You're going to have 200 plants in there? Add it up. That's a quick money maker for a criminal."
Most county supervisors are in favor of some sort of pot dispensary ban, so it may be just a matter of time before the "open" signs are turned off for good.
medical marijuana, fresno county, local, corin hoggard
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos