Wildfire burns more than 879 acres in Tulare County
TULARE COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fire crews from Fresno, Kings and Tulare counties and from as far away as San Luis Obispo are on the scene of a wildfire burning in Tulare County.
As of Thursday morning, the fire is 100-percent contained.
The fire broke out Tuesday night on stokes mountain, east of Orosi in Tulare County.
Fire crews are getting a pretty good handle on this fire. As of late Wednesday afternoon the fire is 80-percent contained and more crews have been brought in to help -- bringing the total to about 225 firefighters.
The fire started at 8 p.m. Tuesday night. Flames could be seen by people living several miles away. Overnight hand crews worked to control the blaze.
"We had fantastic progress throughout the night last night and we hope to have things wrapped up," said Larry Pendarvis with Tulare County Cal Fire, "We were very fortunate the weather was in our favor. There was a steep terrain we had an extensive hand crew."
Resident Sonia Gaytan said, "We started seeing the mountains on fire, it was scary. Because we live out here where there's no help, it's like, what do we do?"
No homes are threatened at this hour. The nearest homes are located at the bottom of Stokes Mountain. But as of late Wednesday afternoon, no evacuations have been ordered.
widlfire, tulare county, orosi, local, shannon handy
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Gas prices rise as temperatures heat up 26 min ago
- Salmon moved on the San Joaquin River
- 59 Days of Code competition encouraging developers
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works?
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Drought intensifying pest problems on farms
- Accuweather Forecast
40 min ago