Bishop shot and killed at Mormon church in Visalia
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Visalia Police department is investigating a deadly shooting of a Bishop at a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Conyer and Tulare.
Minutes later Police responded to an shooting on Burrel and Divisadero.
Police say the victim is 42-year-old Bishop Clay Sanner. Several congregants gathered outside the church mourning the loss and in complete shock.
Two witnesses say that they saw the suspect walk into the Bishops office, engaged in conversation and opened fire on him.
That suspect then took off in a car that was parked outside, drove about a mile, then called police. He told police where he was and when police showed up the suspect opened fire, police returned fire injuring him.
He was wounded in the street and was taken to a nearby hospital. We were not able to ascertain his condition, and police don't have any idea what the motive could be.
Sanner had been working as a Bishop at the church for about 4 months as a volunteer, getting no pay.
We understand he is a family man, he has a wife and six children. His latest child was born just months ago. We will have updates to this story as soon as information become available.
visalia, shooting, local, john-thomas kobos
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Homicide investigated at Porterville Developmental Center
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Valley business gear up for next Fresno State game
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Wood burning contributes to bad air quality in the Valley
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Health Watch: Pinpointing prostate cancer
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos