Bishop shot and killed at Mormon church in Visalia
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Visalia Police department is investigating a deadly shooting of a Bishop at a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Conyer and Tulare.
Minutes later Police responded to an shooting on Burrel and Divisadero.
Police say the victim is 42-year-old Bishop Clay Sanner. Several congregants gathered outside the church mourning the loss and in complete shock.
Two witnesses say that they saw the suspect walk into the Bishops office, engaged in conversation and opened fire on him.
That suspect then took off in a car that was parked outside, drove about a mile, then called police. He told police where he was and when police showed up the suspect opened fire, police returned fire injuring him.
He was wounded in the street and was taken to a nearby hospital. We were not able to ascertain his condition, and police don't have any idea what the motive could be.
Sanner had been working as a Bishop at the church for about 4 months as a volunteer, getting no pay.
We understand he is a family man, he has a wife and six children. His latest child was born just months ago. We will have updates to this story as soon as information become available.
visalia, shooting, local, john-thomas kobos
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Mother of a Fresno toddler talks after hit-and-run
- Conn. commuter train crash injures more than 60
- Brush fire in Southern California scorches 575 acres
- Pastor caught watching child porn at Disney World
- Clovis resident whose car was used in police chase talks
- Fresno foster youth overcomes adversity to graduate
- Eyewitness to Visalia OIS describes what he saw
- Frontier Airlines returns to Fresno
- Good Sports: Bulldogs in the Kitchen
- Grass fire contained in Fresno County
- Made in the Valley: Top O' The Morn Farms
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos