Bishop shot and killed at Mormon church in Visalia
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Visalia Police department is investigating a deadly shooting of a Bishop at a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Conyer and Tulare.
Minutes later Police responded to an shooting on Burrel and Divisadero.
Police say the victim is 42-year-old Bishop Clay Sanner. Several congregants gathered outside the church mourning the loss and in complete shock.
Two witnesses say that they saw the suspect walk into the Bishops office, engaged in conversation and opened fire on him.
That suspect then took off in a car that was parked outside, drove about a mile, then called police. He told police where he was and when police showed up the suspect opened fire, police returned fire injuring him.
He was wounded in the street and was taken to a nearby hospital. We were not able to ascertain his condition, and police don't have any idea what the motive could be.
Sanner had been working as a Bishop at the church for about 4 months as a volunteer, getting no pay.
We understand he is a family man, he has a wife and six children. His latest child was born just months ago. We will have updates to this story as soon as information become available.
visalia, shooting, local, john-thomas kobos
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe