Despite sex crimes Madera man licensed for child care
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A North Valley children's minister who has been a foster parent for more than 15-years was able to get a license to care for children despite a conviction for a sex crime.
48-year-old Alberto Rodriguez was arrested earlier this month after Madera County Sheriff's investigators say he molested children in his care.
60 kids have been through the Rodriguez home, since he became a foster parent. The foster agency that he accepted children from says they knew about his past, but petitioned to get him certified anyway. Until a few weeks ago, Rodriguez was up to date and licensed as a foster parent who met the requirements.
Court records obtained by Action News show Alberto Rodriguez was charged in four separate incidents, dating back to the early 1980's. They involved various women who claimed he tried to have sexual contact with them against their will. Rodriguez spent two years in state prison after agreeing to a plea deal for the felony crime of first degree burglary with the intent to commit sexual battery. We asked state licensing officials how someone with a criminal background could pass a background check.
Rodriguez worked through the foster care agency, Valley Teen Ranch. The CEO declined an on camera interview. She told Action News quote: "I'm very aware of the situation. I am cooperating with everyone. It's awful."
Rodriguez and his wife live in Madera County. According to Valley Teen Ranch officials, he went through the process to become a foster parent in 1994 and was granted an exemption after writing a letter and submitting letters from others noting his upstanding character. State officials say it is possible to have a criminal past and still receive a license to legally take in foster children.
Rodriguez also worked as a children's minister at Valley West Christian Center in Madera. Church leaders say he also passed a department of justice background check they conducted. Once church staff heard about the allegation, Rodriguez was removed from his pastor position.
Rodriguez was licensed along with his wife. She has not been charged with any crimes. Church leaders say she was unaware of any alleged abuse. Alberto Rodriguez is charged with several counts of lewd acts with a child.
madera, madera county, crimetracker, local, sontaya rose
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Homicide investigated at Porterville Developmental Center
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Valley business gear up for next Fresno State game
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos