Fresno schools compete in Academic Decathlon
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Fresno high school has reclaimed its title as Fresno County's Academic Decathlon Champs.
Saturday Edison High School took first place in the county's competition. In all, 30 county high schools took part in this year's contest, which featured multiple choice tests, performance events and an essay.
Students and their supporters packed the Clovis East Gymnasium for the 'Super Quiz' portion of the contest.
The top schools from Saturday's event now have the chance to compete in the state decathlon in Sacramento where Fresno County schools have a proven track record of success.
"Of 60 schools throughout California, we have four school from Fresno County, and our four school always finish in the top 10 in California. So we are very proud of our students in Fresno," Deputy Superintendent Jim Yovino said.
Edison's 13 year winning streak was snapped by University High School last year and this year's contest was also close, with University High coming in second.
Other top schools now have a chance for a wildcard invitation to the state finals which will be held in March.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
fresno, fresno county, education
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe