Madera County is targeting "Target"
MADERA, Calif. (KFSN) -- Madera County has launched a new effort to bring a Target store to the community.
Madera County has more than 150 thousand residents, but this Walmart in the city of Madera is the only major big box general merchandise discount store. That's why many shoppers head to Fresno to spend their money instead.
Charles Fryer said, "Pretty much we've got to go to River Park, Fashion Fair when we want good retail versatility."
But now the county's economic development commission has launched a new campaign to bring a Target to Madera.
Stacey Curtin said, "Oh my gosh, it would be wonderful to not have to go to Fresno, to spend tax dollars here, would be absolutely amazing."
Officials have set up a Facebook page called "Bring Target to Madera County, Ca" and are hoping to get thousands of people to log on and 'like it.'"
The page has already received the thumbs up from more than 785 people, and encouraging comments from many.
Robert Poythress said, "I'm very optimistic that we're going to get their attention."
Poythress is the Mayor of Madera and the Chairman of the County's Economic Development Commission. He says Target would not only give residents a quality shopping option, but also create jobs and increase sales tax revenue.
Poythress said, "We really need to keep that sales tax here in Madera to continue to provide quality services for our residents."
Poythress says no certain location has been chosen for a Target, but the community will work with the retailer to find the perfect spot. We contacted Target, and a spokesperson said the company has no specific list of requirements and no plans at this point to open a store in Madera. But officials and residents are hoping to change that through this online effort.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
madera, madera county, economy, employment, local, sara sandrik
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for jet with 239 aboard 54 min ago
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals