Mother of 4 killed in Fresno by ex-boyfriend
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- We're learning more about a Fresno woman shot to death in front of an East Central Fresno apartment complex Tuesday. 28 year old mother of four Jennifer Chatman Puentes died within minutes of calling 9-1-1 for help. Police say the victim was shot by her ex-boyfriend, Richard Haynes, who then shot and killed himself during a standoff with police.
Monday morning, Jackallynn Chatman Puentes placed red roses on the ground, marking the spot where her sister was shot and killed Tuesday afternoon. "She was a good woman, a good mom. She worked, cleaned, took care of her house, and took care of her kids," said Jackallynn Chatman Puentes.
Police say Jennifer Chatman Puentes called 9-1-1 after she got into a fight with Haynes. When officers arrived on the scene, she was dead. Wednesday, Action News learned it wasn't the couple's first disturbance. In 2009, Haynes was charged with domestic violence and Chatman Puentes briefly had a restraining order against him. But court documents show the case was dropped a few months later, citing issues with the witness. Now, both are dead and two families are grieving.
After Tuesday's shooting, police say Haynes ran into his brother's house and refused to surrender. After a standoff that lasted into the night, police entered the apartment and found him dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
"They left their four kids. There are four kids without a mommy and daddy right now," said Jackallynn Chatman Puentes. The victim's sister says those four children range in age from 3 to 12 years old. Though police call the suspect the victim's ex-boyfriend, Jackallynn Chapman Puentes said the couple was still together and they had taken a family trip to Disneyland as recently as last week.
crimetracker, shooting, murder, fresno, fresno county, fresno east central, fresno police department, local, amanda perez
- 11 min ago
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Silent Sleigh and Mandela Controversy 59 min ago
- Police say internet cafe doubled as gambling house
- '12 Years,' 'Hustle' lead Globes nominations
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- US unemployment aid applications surge to 368,000
- Merced Co. District Attorney Warns of IRS Phone Scam
- Walking Dead actress admits sending ricin to Obama
- Grieving Merced husband and father talks to ABC30
- 3 rescued from Fresno apartment fire
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Farmers markets hit by freeze
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos