Cars get free smog test at Fresno Fairgrounds
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Hundreds of car owners took advantage of the chance to get their vehicles smog-checked for free Saturday.
The San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District hosted "Tune In, Tune Up," a free smog testing at the Fresno Fairgrounds. The first 525 people who showed up at the fairgrounds got to have their cars checked out at no cost.
It's an effort to get polluting vehicles repaired and help clean up the Central Valley's air.
"It's an opportunity for people to get their vehicle emissions checked. If they fail their emissions screen then we give them a $500 coupon that's good for vehicle emissions work at a qualified Gold Shield station," Tom Nox said.
Organizers say the event was a hit with car owners.
The had more than the maximum numbers of cars before Noon and had to turn away some drivers.
fresno county, fresno, auto, local
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Growers discuss issues at Citrus Showcase
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- George Radanovich to announce he won't run for governor
- Business leaders discuss drought impact
- Fresno man pleads guilty to murdering father
- Free dental care to be offered in Fresno