Cars get free smog test at Fresno Fairgrounds
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Hundreds of car owners took advantage of the chance to get their vehicles smog-checked for free Saturday.
The San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District hosted "Tune In, Tune Up," a free smog testing at the Fresno Fairgrounds. The first 525 people who showed up at the fairgrounds got to have their cars checked out at no cost.
It's an effort to get polluting vehicles repaired and help clean up the Central Valley's air.
"It's an opportunity for people to get their vehicle emissions checked. If they fail their emissions screen then we give them a $500 coupon that's good for vehicle emissions work at a qualified Gold Shield station," Tom Nox said.
Organizers say the event was a hit with car owners.
The had more than the maximum numbers of cars before Noon and had to turn away some drivers.
fresno county, fresno, auto, local
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight 8 min ago
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's