Violent gang crime erupts in Visalia
VISALIA, Calif. (KFSN) -- A South Valley police chief is calling on the community to help stem a rise in violent crime.
A double shooting this week near Downtown Visalia is the latest violent gang crime to erupt in the South Valley city.
Visalia Police Chief Colleen Mestas says many young, new gang members are to blame. Officers are seeing juveniles as young as ten-years-old armed with weapons out in public. "Now I'm going to be honest with you- a couple years ago it wouldn't have risen to the attention of the public because it was happening every night we have solved that but now we are seeing a slight increase in the juvenile rival gang members."
Chief Mestas says their gang unit is working aggressively to suppress violence -- but is encouraging the public to call the department if they see or hear about anything suspicious.
Anonymous tips can be called in or submitted online.
crimetracker, gang, visalia, tulare county, local, jessica peres
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Growers discuss issues at Citrus Showcase
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- George Radanovich to announce he won't run for governor
- Business leaders discuss drought impact
- Fresno man pleads guilty to murdering father
- Free dental care to be offered in Fresno