Jose Ramirez on his way to Olympic qualification
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Central Valley teenager Jose Ramirez is on the verge of representing the red, white and blue at the Olympics this summer.
The 19-year-old boxer from Avenal is the reigning national champion in the lightweight division, but he needed two wins this week to earn his ticket to London.
Jose Ramirez got the first of those wins Monday with a late knockout in a last-chance qualifying tournament. Wednesday, he'll face a Canadian contender, with his Olympic berth on the line.
avenal, kings county, sports, corin hoggard
- Panel restores some pay for California lawmakers, governor
- F-15 Fighter Jet touches down in Fresno
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates in jail under scrutiny
- Porterville to vote on gay pride proclamation
- Dave Chappelle is back with new Funny or Die tour
- Cancer killed serial killer Richard Ramirez
- Fresno family's dream comes true
- Grapes become Fresno Co 1st billion dollar crop
- Starbucks to post calorie counts for drinks
- Officer involved shooting in Visalia
- Teresa Ceja and Jose Velarde guilty of murder
- Special Olympics torch run through Fresno County
- Summer food programs offer meals to children