Teacher accused of putting kids in "monster closet"
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- A teacher in Texas has been fired for disciplining a student by putting him in a "monster closet." It was the little boy's punishment for laughing in class.
"I don't like going in the closet," Kendrick said. "Because it is scary."
Kendrick, 4, says his teacher put him a dark, janitorial closet and told him there was a monster inside.
The teacher at Varnett Charter School near Houston, Texas put misbehaving children in the closet for five minutes at a time.
According to Kendrick, the teacher's aide kept the closet door closed with her feet while children cried inside. Kendrick says he was so scared he vomited.
Kendrick's mother, Kelicia said, "You are taking a 4-year-old and putting them in a dark closet. That's like torture. That's a torture even to an adult that is afraid of the dark. Who locks anybody in a closet?"
Superintendent Dr. Annette Cluff said, "I was appalled, and because I was not here to immediately investigate that made me more infuriated to know that this had happened."
The teacher and the aide were immediately suspended without pay and the district announced both have been terminated.
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members 53 min ago
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Valley business gear up for next Fresno State game
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Wood burning contributes to bad air quality in the Valley
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Health Watch: Pinpointing prostate cancer
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos