Teacher accused of putting kids in "monster closet"
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- A teacher in Texas has been fired for disciplining a student by putting him in a "monster closet." It was the little boy's punishment for laughing in class.
"I don't like going in the closet," Kendrick said. "Because it is scary."
Kendrick, 4, says his teacher put him a dark, janitorial closet and told him there was a monster inside.
The teacher at Varnett Charter School near Houston, Texas put misbehaving children in the closet for five minutes at a time.
According to Kendrick, the teacher's aide kept the closet door closed with her feet while children cried inside. Kendrick says he was so scared he vomited.
Kendrick's mother, Kelicia said, "You are taking a 4-year-old and putting them in a dark closet. That's like torture. That's a torture even to an adult that is afraid of the dark. Who locks anybody in a closet?"
Superintendent Dr. Annette Cluff said, "I was appalled, and because I was not here to immediately investigate that made me more infuriated to know that this had happened."
The teacher and the aide were immediately suspended without pay and the district announced both have been terminated.
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes burns one home 6 min ago
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball!
- Tornado-ravaged Texas town to start recovery
- Castaic-area brush fire fully contained
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos