Teacher accused of putting kids in "monster closet"
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- A teacher in Texas has been fired for disciplining a student by putting him in a "monster closet." It was the little boy's punishment for laughing in class.
"I don't like going in the closet," Kendrick said. "Because it is scary."
Kendrick, 4, says his teacher put him a dark, janitorial closet and told him there was a monster inside.
The teacher at Varnett Charter School near Houston, Texas put misbehaving children in the closet for five minutes at a time.
According to Kendrick, the teacher's aide kept the closet door closed with her feet while children cried inside. Kendrick says he was so scared he vomited.
Kendrick's mother, Kelicia said, "You are taking a 4-year-old and putting them in a dark closet. That's like torture. That's a torture even to an adult that is afraid of the dark. Who locks anybody in a closet?"
Superintendent Dr. Annette Cluff said, "I was appalled, and because I was not here to immediately investigate that made me more infuriated to know that this had happened."
The teacher and the aide were immediately suspended without pay and the district announced both have been terminated.
- Ordnance rendered safe; Solvang evacuations lifted 2 min ago
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Fresno County jail inmate death labeled a homicide
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach 40 min ago
- Honey oil safety class for firefighters in Fresno
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Drought may impact farmers market prices
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Valley teens on a spring break job hunt
- Accuweather Forecast
59 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos