Sureno gang member arrested in massive weapons bust
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police say a massive weapons bust landed a gang member in jail and took more than 40 weapons off Valley streets.
Anthony Ortega, 34, a documented gang member is in jail on weapons and drug charges.
Sanger police say many of these guns are high powered weapons. Several were also loaded when police served a search warrant early Wednesday morning.
Among the other items confiscated during the search -- a jar of marijuana, a cross bow, and crystal meth.
Police say the home where the guns were taken from is where a high ranking Sureno gang member lives.
"This is unprecedented," Cpl. Jaimy Gaines said. "I don't believe we've had a bust this large in the city of Sanger. He is a well-documented gang member, we are hoping that we are taking the majority of their firearms of their streets."
Police say Ortega is also being held on attempted murder charges for a shooting in April.
crimetracker, fresno county, sanger, local, rick montanez
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos