7-year-old girl drowns in the Merced River
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A search for a missing 7-year-old girl came to a heartbreaking end in Merced County Sunday. Her body was discovered in the Merced River after a three hour search.
The Merced Sun Star says the girl went missing around 3 p.m. Sunday. The search and rescue team with Merced County Sheriff's Department searched the McConnell State Recreation Area for hours hoping to find the girl alive.
The department helicopter spotted the girl's body in the river around 6 p.m. Sunday night. Sheriff's officials say this is a grim reminder to make sure to use life jackets and proper safety equipment when visiting the river.
merced county, livingston, atwater, turlock, drowning, local
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia man accused of sexual conduct with boy
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- 7 health apps you need to know about
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos