Porterville man arrested after wife found dead
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Porterville police are investigating a homicide. Their suspect turned himself into authorities Sunday night after crossing the border into Mexico.
Detectives say 26-year-old Leonardo Nacoa left his home after shooting his wife, Krystal Garcia Nacoa. The shooting happened just before 1 a.m. Sunday.
Detectives say Nacoa took off, leaving his three young kids in the home.
Police detectives drove down to Imperial County to pick up Nacoa and bring him back to Tulare County. Action News has learned detectives tracked him down on his cell phone and they were able to convince Nacoa to cross back over the us border to surrender to Calexico police.
Investigators say Nacoa had just returned home before the overnight shooting. They say he got into an argument with his wife. They're not sure what happened next but they say Nacoa shot and killed his wife.
When officers showed up to the home they found three young kids inside. The kids were not injured.
Detectives say Nacoa is in custody and they are working to figure out what motivated the killing.
"In a situation like this, it's hard to find a silver lining. But having the suspect turn himself in without other violence is a best case scenario," Dominic Barteau of the Porterville Police Department said.
According to the suspect and victim's Facebook pages they had known each other since they were teenagers. It appears Leonardo Nacoa at some point was in the Marines.
porterville, tulare county, homicide, crimetracker, local, rick montanez
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Mendota PD seeks arsonist after patrol car torched
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Photos of David Brenner through the years