Inmate found beaten in Fresno Co jail dies
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno County Sheriff detectives are investigating the apparent murder of a jail inmate, who faced charges himself for murder.
Investigators said Joe Anthony Rodriguez, 20, was found on his cell floor with severe trauma to his head and body on Wednesday night. He was taken to Community Regional Medical Center where he later died from his injuries.
Detectives said the homicide happened shortly before the nightly inmate count while all of the cell doors where open to the community area of the jail.
Detectives do not know the motive, but said the incident appears to be gang related.
Rodriguez was in custody for the December 2011 murder of 16-year-old Jose Calderon in Southwest Fresno. Authorities are still looking for a second suspect in the murder, 18-year-old Abel Perez.
fresno southwest, fresno, fresno county, homicide, murder, local
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident 4 min ago
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Unemployment rises to 6.7 percent in February
- Fresno County veteran receives national award
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Con man steals millions from elderly
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Photos: 16th-century 'rocket cat' weaponry pictures
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Growers discuss issues at Citrus Showcase
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations