Bakersfield 9-year-old girl dies from flu
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Health officials say a young Valley girl who died of the flu Thursday had no other health conditions.
The young victim has only been identified as a 9-year-old girl from Bakersfield.
Authorities say she first got sick on Saturday but she was perfectly fine the last day she went to school. However, she did not receive her flu shot.
Public Health Officer Claudia Jonah said, "Flu is not something to take lightly. It's always something to do everything that's available to you to protect yourself and other."
Health officials say the school she attended is being thoroughly disinfected following her death. A letter was sent home to parents in the school district to notify them about what happened.
Grief counseling is being made available to students on Monday.
flu, bakersfield, south valley, local
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police 24 min ago
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Drought intensifying pest problems on farms
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch
- Supermarket savings, getting more from your store
- "X-Men" director accused of sex abuse in lawsuit
- Three WWII vets celebrate their birthdays
- Ordnance rendered safe; Solvang evacuations lifted
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos