Former Fresno city council member passes away
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Esther Padilla was a well-known social and farm labor activist when she was elected to represent the fifth district in 1990. She served one term.
She received a kidney transplant from her daughter 15 years ago, and then dedicated her life to the local transplant donor network, working to encourage organ donation.
Her husband, Gilbert talked with Action News about how he hopes she will be remembered.
Gilbert Padilla, Esther's husband said, "I remember her as an activist and a good human being. She wasn't too much into material stuff or big homes, she gave up her job, her car and her bank account to work for farmworkers and like I said, she wanted to advocate for the poor."
Esther passed away on Wednesday at the age of 69. Memorial services begin Sunday evening at 6 p.m. at Saint Alphonsus Church with a viewing and rosary.
Funeral mass will be Monday morning, at 10:30 a.m. followed by a burial at Saint Peters Cemetery.
The public is welcome to attend.
fresno, fresno county, local
- Malaysian official says missing plane hijacked 19 min ago
- SW Fresno crash sends 12 people to hospital
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- 7 health apps you need to know about 33 min ago
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- YouTube: Newborn Gorilla Recovers After Emergency...