Child abuse investigation lands Visalia man behind bars
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The little boy is still in the hospital and listed in critical condition. Investigators say he has a serious head injury.
Doctors say it's the type of injury that couldn't have come from a fall.
Neighbors who live on south Encina Street watched as police spent the past day and a half taking pictures and collecting evidence inside this home. Trevor Bishop, 30, lives with his girlfriend and her two children. Visalia police went to the home after getting a call from Kaweah Delta about a three year old with a serious head injury.
Sgt.Amy Watkins of Visalia Police said, "Investigators rely heavily on medical staff to give us their professional opinion on the type of force required to inflict certain types of injuries to children."
Watkins said medical staff rushed the child to Fresno as his injuries were significant. The violent crimes unit interviewed the child's mother and her boyfriend, Trevor Bishop. Visalia Police Department has also arrested 29-year-old Desie Horton.
"It was determined that he was possibly responsible and negligent causing the injury to the child so he was arrested," Watkins said.
She says investigators don't try to be doctors nor do doctors attempt to be investigators, but she says injuries can tell stories even if the person can't talk.
"The force would have had to have been greater than a common fall," she said."
The couple hadn't lived in the neighborhood very long, neighbors told Action News that they're renting and that the family kept to themselves.
Child protective services are involved; police say a second child is now staying with relatives.
visalia, tulare county, child abuse, local, stephanie stone
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Freeze impacts one Valley farmer's tropical fruit harvest
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos