First California Powerball drawing carries over
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- The nation's largest lottery game, Powerball, is now here in California. Wednesday's jackpot was worth $60 million. The Powerball numbers are 1 36 40 52 53 and the Powerball number is 20.
Everything about adding Powerball to the California Lottery has to do with the big jackpots. In some cases, the game is already making more money for valley retailers.
More than 300 tickets were sold at Elite Liquor in Northwest Fresno since Monday. "I hit it once here, already," said Mary Guererro. "So, I'm going to try it again."
For years Californians just had to sit and watch as other states played to win jackpots topping as much as $578 million. Now they're picking up their own tickets. The game costs two dollars and you can pick your own five lucky numbers, plus the Powerball number, or you can choose quick picks.
"Yes, some people are very excited," said Elite Liquor owner Bob Bhaurla. "This is the game they want to play. It's a big game, everybody wants big money. Small money they don't care. But yes, they are excited."
Lottery officials say this big new game will donate at least $40 million annually to California public schools. That will fluctuate with ticket sales. Since Monday, lotto officials say $10 million worth of tickets were purchased. They're also offering special promotions -- tied into other lotto games.
"If you happen to see one of these little signs at a retailer where we're conducting the promotion, if they don't ask you to play Powerball, you're going to get a free super lotto coupon," said Henry Hernandez from the California Lottery.
Powerball tickets are printing out at a faster rate than Mega Millions and Super Lotto Plus.
lottery, national/world, rick montanez
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US 17 min ago
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos