Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
YOSEMITE LAKES, Calif. (KFSN) -- The fire is burning at Road 400 and Sandy Beach Drive. Mariposa CalFire said the fire has burned 91 acres and is 80 percent contained.
Dozens of CalFire firefighters were on scene in Yosemite Lakes Park trying to battle the wildfire. While crews fought the quickly moving fire by ground, air support was called in to help.
Residents looked on, while fire crews battled the flames for hours. But crews couldn't save the flames from burning resident Josh Altmiller's home. They were able to escape safely. He describes the moments he realized the fire was quickly coming upon his home. "My dog was acting funny and he ran up to the back door and he was just staring at the hill and he ran out the back door, and I walked out there and there was smoke. I told my wife to just get up and get ready. Get some shoes on the kids, don't worry about anything else."
For the next few hours the Altmillers watched parts of the house collapse under thick black smoke.
At one point more than two hundred firefighters worked to combat the burn. But crews say the weather and knee length dry grass helped fuel the flames.
Crews say the fire is no longer threatening any structures, but road 400 remains closed.
Firefighters were able to stop the fire from spreading beyond the 91 acres it burned Sunday evening. Officials are also crediting residents for clearing the areas near their homes.
Stay with Action News and ABC30.com for more on this developing story. CalFire has named the fire "Lily 2."
yosemite lakes, coarsegold, madera county, fire, widlfire, local
- Malaysian official: Investigators conclude jet hijacked
- SW Fresno crash sends 12 people to hospital
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer 46 min ago
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder 48 min ago
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures 14 min ago
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- YouTube: Newborn Gorilla Recovers After Emergency...
- John Hancock observatory in Chicago to Tilt