Skateboarding teen dies after being hit by a vehicle in Fresno County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A skateboarder died in a crash with a vehicle in Fresno County. The accident happened around 5:30 Monday evening on North near Thompson.
CHP investigators say 16-year-old Mark Carpenter Junior was traveling westbound on his skateboard -- when a driver tried passing him up. They said the teenager zig-zagged in and out of the lanes, and was struck by the driver of a silver Chevy.
Authorities say their preliminary investigation indicates this crash was an accident, and they don't plan to file any charges against the driver.
Sgt. Patrick Etchebarne said, "It appears that the Chevy observed the skate boarder well in advance, attempted to pass the skate boarder and the skate boarder traversed right into the vehicle that was passing it."
Investigators say the boy was not wearing a helmet and lived near the area of the accident.
fresno county, fresno, local
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno 45 min ago
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7 19 min ago
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Photos: Incredible images from Colorado car chase
- Almond crop expected to take a massive hit
- Honey oil explosion ends with felony arrest
- Enforcing water restrictions in Madera County and City
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif.
- Fresno State launches Good Samaritan Fund
- Teachers are in demand at VUSD
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- Police are investigating a deadly shooting...
55 min ago