Skateboarding teen dies after being hit by a vehicle in Fresno County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A skateboarder died in a crash with a vehicle in Fresno County. The accident happened around 5:30 Monday evening on North near Thompson.
CHP investigators say 16-year-old Mark Carpenter Junior was traveling westbound on his skateboard -- when a driver tried passing him up. They said the teenager zig-zagged in and out of the lanes, and was struck by the driver of a silver Chevy.
Authorities say their preliminary investigation indicates this crash was an accident, and they don't plan to file any charges against the driver.
Sgt. Patrick Etchebarne said, "It appears that the Chevy observed the skate boarder well in advance, attempted to pass the skate boarder and the skate boarder traversed right into the vehicle that was passing it."
Investigators say the boy was not wearing a helmet and lived near the area of the accident.
fresno county, fresno, local
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops 45 min ago
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Rain could pose threat to Valley orange crops
- Toys for Tots Marathon Weekend 2013
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Man wanted for shooting near Fresno ice rink arrested
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- HWY 41 opens near Tenaya Lodge after closed due to snow
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Central Valley farmers see minimal damage...
50 min ago