Hormone could help heal traumatic brain injuries
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A hormone produced by the body could help heal a traumatic brain injury.
Health issues lead to Lester Talley's near fatal accident. The husband and father of two suffered a serious traumatic brain injury.
"My brain had started swelling," Talley said.
"There really is no definitive therapy for the treatment of acute brain injury," said Dr. Laskowitz a neurologist.
Lester's wife Ashley feared the worst.
"Seemed like my world was coming to an end," Ashley Talley said.
While in a coma, Lester was enrolled in a phase three trial called Synapse. The study is testing if progesterone could help treat traumatic brain injury It is a natural hormone produced in men and women that's most often associated with pregnancy.
"There is good evidence that it reduces inflammation," Laskowitz said.
The hormone has to be given within eight hours of an injury. It is infused into the brain for five days straight.
"...and their ultimate endpoint is how they are doing at six months," Laskowitz said.
Research shows the drug can rebuild the blood-brain barrier, decrease brain swelling, and cell death. The trial is blinded so Lester doesn't know if he got the drug or a placebo, but in six-months he's come a long way. He still has trouble with the left side of body and a few memory issues.
"He remembered the most important thing, that I'm his wife. That's what i wanted you to remember," Ashley Talley said.
health watch, margot kim
- Ryan Rodriquez found safe in Fresno County
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Merced Co. District Attorney Warns of IRS Phone Scam
- Grieving Merced husband and father talks to ABC30
- 3 rescued from Fresno apartment fire
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Farmers markets hit by freeze
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Man shot several times in Central Fresno
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos