High school football player collapses
DURHAM -- For the second time in less than a week a local high school football player collapsed at practice. The latest incident happened Thursday evening at Southern High School in Durham.
William Cameron was treated for dehydration and is expected to be OK, but the incident is raising questions about the safety of players in the heat.
Last Saturday, Evan Raines, a junior at Seventy-First High School in Fayetteville, became sick during practice and was rushed to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center where he later died. The cause of his death is still unknown at this point.
Now, the North Carolina High School Athletic Association is sending out a reminder to coaches and players to be extra cautious in the heat.
Most high schools follow strict state guidelines when it comes to protecting the safety of athletes, including knowing when to stop practice and when to rehydrate.
Durham County School District Athletic Director Larry McDonald says his coaches take those guidelines seriously, but it can be difficult to monitor players before practice since school isn't in session.
"This time of year it's tougher for the coaches," said McDonald. "So, you have to remind them when they leave at night -- heat takes its toll on your body."
Every athlete is required to go through eight days of practice to get acclimated to the stress of playing in the heat.
The first day of scrimmage is Saturday.
Cameron will not practice until he gets clearance from his doctor.
durham county, local/state, heather waliga
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia man accused of sexual conduct with boy
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- 7 health apps you need to know about
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos