Officer involved shooting in East Central Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- One man is in critical condition this midday after being shot multiple times by a police officer.
Just before 1:30 a.m. Wednesday morning police were called to an apartment complex in East Central Fresno for a family disturbance.
Family members of the suspect say the man was acting bizarre and they were concerned for his well being. An officer arrived on the scene, and found the suspect and two family members in a car in the alley.
"When the officer made contact, or was walking to make contact with the family members, that's when the suspect suddenly left the vehicle and began to run toward the officer with a knife in his hand," said Pat Farmer, Fresno Deputy Police Chief.
Police say that's when the officer fired at the suspect. When the suspect came after the officer again, the officer fired his gun again.
The suspect was taken to Community Regional Medical Center where he is in critical condition.
The officer was not seriously hurt and is on paid administrative leave while detectives investigate. Fresno Police are not releasing the name of the suspect or officer at this time. It's not clear if drugs or alcohol played a role.
officer involved shooting, fresno, fresno county, fresno east central, local
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Salmon moved on the San Joaquin River
- 59 Days of Code competition encouraging developers
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works?
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Drought intensifying pest problems on farms
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch