Soul Brothers gun battle spurs retaliation shootings
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- We have new details following that deadly weekend shooting at a biker club. Fresno Police now say two more shootings were in direct retaliation for that clubhouse gun battle.
Detectives say they were not only expecting the retaliation, but they've got good leads into which gangs and gang members are responsible for the violence.
Early Saturday morning, an 18-year-old was shot and killed at the Soul Brothers clubhouse near Calwa and Pullman in Fresno County and a dozen others were injured.
The next day, late into Saturday evening, a 17-year-old girl was shot in the face after someone fired into the van in which she was a passenger near Jensen and Bardell.
Also on Saturday, 15 rounds were fired into an apartment complex. Both incidents are tied to the murder at the Soul Brothers clubhouse.
Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said, "We know that retaliation is a reality anytime we have a gang shooting that's why we get on it so quickly."
Dyer says his officers are now working with Fresno County deputies, looking for suspects and working to figure out which gangs are involved. At this point, Fresno's top law man says they've got good leads.
"We know where the hot spots are," said Chief Dyer. "Where the gang members are going to be involved in retaliatory type shooting."
In the meantime, police are patrolling what they call the Jensen corridor, and the neighborhoods around it as they're known as a thoroughfare for gang members.
Chief Dyer explained, "It's important for us to occupy those areas at certain times, on certain days when we believe there's an increase likelihood of retaliation and we've done that very effectively."
As for the victims in these shootings the 17-year-old who was shot in the face has serious but not life threatening injuries and the dozen who were injured at the motorcycle club are still recovering.
crimetracker, shooting, gang, fresno, fresno county, calwa, local, stephanie stone
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed 16 min ago
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Video: Take a tour of the 'smartphone home'
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident
- Accuweather Forecast
30 min ago