Fresno State ranked 17th in first Bowl Championship Series poll
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno State has moved up to number 15 in the AP top 25 poll and number 18 in the USA Today coach's poll. The Fresno State football team also came in at number 17 in the first Bowl Championship Series poll released Sunday.
That's because as a non-automatic qualifier, the bulldogs are currently one spot shy of where they need to be at the end of the season in order to land an automatic BCS bid. That's because if an automatic qualifying conference champion does not finish better than 16th in the BCS, the bulldogs don't have to reach number 12 to make it in. American Athletic Conference leader Louisville is currently ranked 20 in the BCS.
Obviously there's a long way to go in the season, but Action News asked a couple of Bulldog legends for their thoughts on how Fresno State could crack the BCS.
"All they've got to do is keep doing what they're doing," said former Bulldog Wide Receiver Stephone Paige. "Every week take care of one team at a time. And at the end of the season I think we'll get a bid. I believe that we'll get a really good bowl bid and we'll have a chance to play in one of the big bowl games."
"If the American Athletic Conference champion is ranked lower than Fresno State, Fresno State gets a BCS game if they're able to go undefeated," said former Bulldog Safety Cameron Worrell. "So all they have to do is continue this undefeated season, win that Mountain West championship game, and hopefully everything will take care of itself."
fresno state, fresno state bulldogs, fresno state football, sports, david bataller
- Two killed in shooting near Exeter 10 min ago
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
- Police say 5 dead in Calgary stabbings
- Combat vehicles in east Ukraine fly Russian flag
- China's growth slows to 7.4 percent in 1Q
- Bank of America posts loss, hurt by legal expenses
- Riverdale man is the newest lottery millionaire
- Woman says Covered California "saved her life"