Mother who recently gave birth found dead on a Hanford street
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police are searching for a killer after a Hanford woman was found dead this weekend in Hanford. Joseph Torres is heartbroken by his daughter's death. The Hanford mother had just given birth to her second child.
Family members and friends placed a small memorial of candles, flowers and clothes where 24-year-old Jenny Torres was found killed Friday night. Joseph Torres says their family is grappling with her death.
"She was a good girl, she loved and she had a good heart," Torres said.
Torres hopes police are quick to catch her killer. He says Jenny had just become mom to her second child less than two weeks ago. A little boy named Luke.
"She just had a baby about 10 days ago and I hope they catch the guy who did it because he deserves to get caught," Torres said.
Just before midnight on Friday someone passing by 3rd Street discovered Jenny Torres' body and called 911. The busy roadway runs parallel to Highway 198 and is frequently used by drivers trying to get back onto the highway.
"Officers arrived on scene and found a female lying on the ground on the 600 block of 3rd street with some trauma to her body they began some CPR first aid," Sgt. James Lutz with the Hanford police department said.
Jenny Torres was then taken to a local hospital where she died. Officers say it was obvious her death was no accident, adding she had gunshot wounds on her body.
"It's a homicide. The investigators are actively working many leads," Sgt. Lutz said
"I love my girl and I miss her and I hope they catch that guy whoever did it," Joseph Torres said.
Jenny Torres' baby is still in the hospital because he was born premature. Her father says he and his wife will care for her children.
crimetracker, homicide, local, jessica peres
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Video: Take a tour of the 'smartphone home'
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident