Parlier High teacher and coach arrested on sex charges
PARLIER, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Parlier High School teacher is behind bars accused of sexually assaulting an underage teenager.
Sanger police have identified the teacher as 25-year-old Anthony Lepore. Clovis Police arrested him Saturday at his home on the 1500 block of Barstow.
Sgt. Noel Johnson, with the Sanger Police Department, says the crime took place Friday evening, in the 1800 block of Swan Avenue in Sanger.
The victim in the alleged assault is a 16-year-old girl. Her parents reported her missing around Midnight Saturday morning. She arrived home a few hours later, after being dropped off by Lepore.
"They waited for their daughter to come home," Johnson said. "They then confronted the suspect as he brought her home. Then there was an altercation between the suspect and the victim's parents."
Parlier Police Chief, David Cerda, says during the altercation, Lepore tried to run over the victim's parents with his car. Parlier police officers are investigating that aspect of the case.
Parlier Unified School District Superintendent, Gerardo Alvarez, says Lepore taught math at the school. He taught 9th through 12th grades. He is also the coach for the boys' varsity basketball team.
Alvarez says Lepore started working for the district August 20th and it was his first teaching job. Lepore had recently graduated from Fresno State and was recommended by a former Fresno County Superintendent.
"It's very shocking," Alvarez said. "As far as I'm concerned, we haven't had any complaints on this particular teacher. We didn't see any red flags or any indication that anything was happening."
Alvarez says they have a new coach and a substitute teacher to take over for Lepore's team and classes. Alvarez also added that Lepore's career with Parlier Unified is over.
"Regardless of what the results are, he will not be returning to the school district," he said.
Lepore is facing five felony charges including Lewd and Lascivious acts with a juvenile. He is also facing an assault with a deadly weapons charge which stems from the victim's parents claim that Lepore tried to run them over.
parlier, fresno county, sex crimes, local, anthony pura
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Search resumes for missing Malaysian jetliner
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified 50 min ago
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get lung transplant 30 min ago
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals 58 min ago
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get...
35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos