Bay Area man falls to his death off Yosemite's Half Dome
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Yosemite National Park officials are trying to determine why a man fell to his death while climbing Half Dome Monday evening.
Officials in Yosemite have released the identity of the man who fell off of Half Dome. Park officials say 23-year-old Ryan Leeder from the Bay Area died Monday evening when he fell over the side of half dome and fell 2,500 feet.
Leeder was hiking alone and no one at the top of Half Dome saw him fall, although climbers reported seeing a man falling off the cables at 6:30 Monday evening.
Park officials say they don't know why the man fell. This is the 17th death that has happened in Yosemite this year.
yosemite national park, local
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare 23 min ago
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens 52 min ago
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Fresno State women's basketball headed to NCAA tournament 9 min ago
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Chowchilla Western Stampede attracts visitors
- Merced County marijuana grow lands man in jail
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
- Fresno kidnap, sex assault suspect changes plea