Police arrest nearly 50 in SW Fresno gang sweep
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Nearly 50 people in Southwest Fresno were arrested Wednesday on felony charges. Police say more than two dozen are gang members.
Officers say the unannounced operations were needed because of a rise in shootings, and threats of retaliation by members of a violent gang.
Four guns were also recovered during the searches and patrol stops. Police say gang members are even threatening certain officers by name.
Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said, "The officers that have been named are people that are investigators that have been involved in gang investigations. They are also members of the departments that are known to gang members."
Police say the problems flared up Easter Sunday when officers confronted a murder suspect. Jerel Stanfield, 24, was shot when investigators say he ran.
Chief Dyer says a gun was found on Stanfield and the weapon was used in five shootings including a murder.
Police are now closely watching locations gang members plan to target.
crimetracker, gang, fresno county, fresno, local, sontaya rose
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe