Police arrest nearly 50 in SW Fresno gang sweep
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Nearly 50 people in Southwest Fresno were arrested Wednesday on felony charges. Police say more than two dozen are gang members.
Officers say the unannounced operations were needed because of a rise in shootings, and threats of retaliation by members of a violent gang.
Four guns were also recovered during the searches and patrol stops. Police say gang members are even threatening certain officers by name.
Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said, "The officers that have been named are people that are investigators that have been involved in gang investigations. They are also members of the departments that are known to gang members."
Police say the problems flared up Easter Sunday when officers confronted a murder suspect. Jerel Stanfield, 24, was shot when investigators say he ran.
Chief Dyer says a gun was found on Stanfield and the weapon was used in five shootings including a murder.
Police are now closely watching locations gang members plan to target.
crimetracker, gang, fresno county, fresno, local, sontaya rose
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach over trash dispute
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Almond crop expected to take a massive hit
- Honey oil explosion ends with felony arrest
- Enforcing water restrictions in Madera County and City
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif.
- Fresno State launches Good Samaritan Fund
- Teachers are in demand at VUSD
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- California seeks to dam 3 Delta channels
- Accuweather Forecast
19 min ago