Confusion, emotions run high after the tornado
May 20, 2013 -- The pictures and the sound from the kids, especially, are so emotional. Good news - if we can use those words - is that there are NOT 91 or 51 people killed.
In the confusion - or for whatever reason down there in Oklahoma - the body counts were way overestimated. 24 deaths is always 24 too many. But it's just more than a quarter of the original estimates late last night, so we mourn but breathe a sigh that more weren't killed.
Word tonight that it was likely an EF5 tornado - the most powerful. We'll have the latest from Oklahoma, tonight at 11.
Also at 11, two more anti-gay bias attacks. What the front-door is happening? At least half a dozen attacks that we know of, despite an increased police presence in gay-friendly communities. Are civilian patrols on their way - a kind of Guardian Angels patrol? We're on the story tonight.
And we're at the wake for Andrea Rebello, the Hofstra University junior who was killed a Nassau County cop last Friday during a hostage standoff. The armed home invader was shot 7 times; he had Andrea in a neck hold during the shooting.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Dr. Joe Castro named new Fresno State president 12 min ago
- FBI fatally shoots man in Boston bombing probe
- Arsonist believed to be on the loose near Orange Cove
- Family rocked by a violent tragedy finds comfort
- Mother of convicted rapist attacks ABC30 camera
- Ben Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- Eric Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor
- LA voters back measure to cap number of pot shops
- US home sales tick up to highest in 3 ½ years
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Newest 'Dancing' winner crowned
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- Canned peaches may be as good for you as fresh ones
- Mild, dry weather helps California rice growers
- Dr. Joseph Castro named new Fresno State...
17 min ago