UN: Global food prices dropped sharply in May
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The UN agency Food and Agriculture Organization says world food prices reached their lowest level in eight months in May. Global prices of a basket of food commodities fell by 4 percent last month.
A UN grain analyst says crop prices have come down sharply from their peak, but are still high and vulnerable because of risks related to weather conditions.
The UN agency keeps a close watch on prices because rises in the prices of staple food have led to violence in some countries in recent years.
ag report, ag watch
- Man caught downloading child porn at McDonald's 4 min ago
- Fresno pot shop closes amid ABC30 investigation 3 min ago
- 4 arrested after exchanging gunfire with police
- Authorities investigate a homicide in Fresno Co.
- Budget improvements for Fresno Unified 6 min ago
- Dr. Joe Castro named new Fresno State president
- Andy Vidak wins 16th State Senate District
- Former Bullard Star Taylor Gets Coaching Start at Kerman
- Valley students helping tornado-ravaged town of Moore
- Stand-up paddling is catching on
- FBI fatally shoots man in Boston bombing probe
- David Cameron: London attack could be terror
- Life or death? Jodi Arias jury deadlocked
- Family rocked by a violent tragedy finds comfort