Growers concerned over extended heat wave
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno County's $800-million grape crop is quickly maturing. But some growers are worried about an extended heat wave.
Pinot gris grapes in an Easton vineyard need the heat, but too much of it over an extended period can cause sunburn in the berries. The heavier the canopy over the grape bunches the more protection but the sun has already burned some leaves.
"When we have long durations of high temperatures what it does it stifles growth, sugar accumulation. It doesn't allow the plant to do anything. It goes into maintenance mode," said farm advisor Stephen Vasquez.
Hundreds of growers and vintners gathered in Northwest Fresno for the annual Allied Grape Growers Meeting. Global demand is strong. They expect to produce a large, quality crop this year.
But the growers are also ready for a cooling off period. They've all been soaking their vines to protect them from the heat. "Higher humidities help to a certain point on keeping sunburn from happening on certain varieties there unless we get to 110 or 111 degrees that could be very detrimental," said Easton grower Ray Jacobsen.
Jacobsen says temperatures up to 107 degrees don't pose too many problems. But because of the intense heat this week, many workers have been starting much earlier -- trying to get done by noon.
ag report, ag watch, dale yurong
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Health Watch: Pinpointing prostate cancer
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Family of boy who died in Los Banos DUI...
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos