Accused Tulare Co metal thieves arrested
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- More than a dozen people have been arrested after an undercover operation at Tulare County farms.
Tulare County deputies say the metal thieves stole thousands of dollars worth of copper wire from local farmers.
Water pumps that irrigate Central Valley farms are a lifeline for Tulare County farmers.
"To a farmer this time of year a water pump is an absolute critical tool that they have to have working especially when the weather is hot like it has been this summer," Tricia Stever Blattler of the Tulare County Farm Bureau said.
Farmers rely on the pumps to keep crops green but deputies say metal thieves looking to make fast cash are destroying the devices to steal copper wire.
"These thieves are getting $50 to $100 worth of copper wire and our farmers replacing the damage are 5 or 6, 7 thousand dollars often times to try and repair it to get these pumps back in order," Sheriff Bill Wittman of the Tulare County Sheriff's Office said.
Tulare County Sheriff Bill Wittman says deputies have now arrested 15 people for stealing the metal.
"Many of them were under the influence of narcotics and couple of them were in possession of narcotics," Jody Cox of the Tulare County Sheriff's Department said.
The arrests were made after a three-week undercover operation.
"We had an airplane out in the air every night to focus on the pumps that were out on dirt roads that are hard to get to," Wittman said.
Five South Valley recyclers have also been cited for buying the stolen metal. Deputies plan to crack down on others breaking the law in the coming weeks.
"Several of the recyclers we contacted even had those notices posted up on their boards so they are well aware of what the laws are," Cox said.
People in the farming community are thrilled about the recent bust but they're concerned these crooks won't stop.
"15 people arrested is very much something to celebrate but there's a lot more out there," Blattler said.
ag report, tulare county, ag watch, mariana jacob
- Oregon teen accused of planning to attack school
- Tower District banding together to fight crime
- Keeping safe this Memorial Day weekend
- Motorcycle officer recovering after crash in NE Fresno
- Millerton Lake boating accident injures one person
- Senate District 16 could be headed to runoff
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities
- Man dies in Southwest Fresno shooting
- Group finds 'structurally deficient' bridges in Valley
- Stabbing victim well known in the Tower District
- Fire truck overturns in collision in SE Fresno
- Man arrested for death of baby girl at LNAS
- Quick, long-term fixes in works for Washington bridge
- San Antonio flooding kills 1; 200-plus rescued