California rice harvest is underway
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The rice harvest in California is underway and growers say they expect to have a good crop this year.
Many farmers in the Sacramento Valley say they expect the main part of the harvest to start this week. Ag officials say the state's rice crop could be about 2-percent larger than last year's.
The California Rice Commission says 2012 marks the 100th rice harvest in the state's history. Harvest is expected to last through November.
ag report, ag watch
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Highway 41 closed near Tenaya Lodge
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather