Bad news for wheat farmers
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The market for gluten-free food is booming.
A new market research report shows the market for products without the gluten protein found in wheat is now valued at $4-billion dollars. The report finds nearly two in ten people are avoiding products made with wheat.
The reason? Experts say a growing number of people are getting diagnosed with wheat-related food allergies.
Experts say the gluten-free craze may impact the wheat-producing industry as more and more people stop buying grains.
ag report, wheat, ag watch
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini, 51, dies
- Fresno City Manager Mark Scott resigns 44 min ago
- F-15 Fighter Jet touches down in Fresno
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates in jail under scrutiny
- Natura recalls pet food after salmonella test
- Porterville to vote on gay pride proclamation
- Dave Chappelle is back with new Funny or Die tour
- Cancer killed serial killer Richard Ramirez
- Fresno family's dream comes true
- Grapes become Fresno Co 1st billion dollar crop
- Starbucks to post calorie counts for drinks
- Officer involved shooting in Visalia
- Teresa Ceja and Jose Velarde guilty of murder