Cattle ranchers throughout the area welcome the rain
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Farmers and ranchers throughout the Valley are welcoming these winter showers. "I prayed this morning it would rain good today. I need an inch, to an inch and a half to put a lot of moisture in the ground. The grass would have just taken off then," said cattle rancher, Roger Tweedy.
For now Tweedy has to feed his cattle hay until these hills turn a lush green. "This dry grass is like cardboard," said Tweedy.
During the past four months Tweedy has fattened his cows up with hay by shelling out about $250 a day. And that's cost him nearly $30,000. "It's pretty tough, some years are just break even," he said.
The dry season has been a tough one for ranchers across the Valley. "Most people don't realize that cattle and calves are one of our top ten crops in the county and they are wholly dependent on the moisture that falls in the foothills," said Fresno County Farm Bureau's Ryan Jacobsen.
Last year's dry weather hurt farmers throughout the San Joaquin Valley. "Kern County, Kings County, Fresno County and Merced and upwards were all included in that drought declaration because of what happened in the foothills," said Jacobsen.
Now ranchers and farmers are banking on a heavy snowpack in the Sierra Nevada to turn a profit in the coming year.
ag report, ag watch, mariana jacob
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Health Watch: Pinpointing prostate cancer
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Family of boy who died in Los Banos DUI...
12 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos