Valley dairyman fights FDA over raw milk
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A local dairyman is sick and tired of waiting for the Food and Drug Administration to respond to his request.
Mark McAfee, founder of Organic Pastures joined forces with the Farm Consumer Legal Defense Fund to file a petition for writ of mandamus.
The mandamus is a court order which forces the FDA to respond to McAfee's initial petition to move his raw milk across state lines.
Back in 2008, McAfee asked the FDA to change it's policy regarding interstate sales. Court documents allege the FDA did not respond within 180 days which is required by law. Organic Pastures sells raw milk and raw milk products.
According to it's website, the FDA says raw milk isn't safe and can carry disease causing pathogens that can lead to illness. It also says health benefits have not been substantiated.
McAfee claims milk is healthier in it's natural state. "Think about what raw milk is. It's the first form of food for life, for mammals. You destroy it by pasteurization how's it supposed to be effective in the gut."
He also says Organic Pastures has been flooded with phone calls from people across the nation, begging for his product. "There is not a state in this union that does not call us every month begging for raw milk to be delivered to them from our dairy".
The FDA does not comment on pending legal matters. A federal judge will hear the case this spring.
ag report, ag watch, stephanie stone
- New details unfold in fatal Fresno PD shooting 56 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled: Long Beach boy found safe
- Authorities investigate a shooting in Chowchilla
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Electricity problems hit Fresno Co. Sheriff's Office 27 min ago
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building