Valley nut growers welcome cold weather
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Walnuts and pistachio growers are hoping the recent cold temperatures stick around for a while.
Walnut farmers say the nuts need about 800 hours of chilling in order to have a successful flowering time in the spring.
Farmers say right now the trees are not yet getting the rest they need, because the winter started so late. They say that's a big concern because they only have about 6 weeks left to reach that goal of 800 hours.
ag report, nut, walnuts, pistachio, ag watch
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Vet saves poisoned dog with vodka
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos