Walnut and Pistachio growers welcome cold weather
KINGS COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Walnut and pistachio growers are hoping colder, chillier temperatures move into the Valley and stay.
"In walnuts, we need approximately 800 hours of chillin to put them in a good dormancy to where they leaf out properly in the spring," said walnut farmer Paul Stanfield.
Stanfield said his trees aren't getting the rest they need because of this season's late winter start. The period between November and February is critical for pistachio and walnut trees that require at least 800 hours of temperatures below 45 degrees. "It's a big concern because we only have 6 weeks left approximately to reach that goal of 800 hours."
So far, growers have only seen about half those days. The trees require the chilly temperatures in order to have a successful blooming season come this spring.
"It's just like a bear that hibernates, so if the tree doesn't get enough rest -- like a bear that gets woken up prematurely. The tree wakes up cranky and it does not leaf out and bloom properly, which in turn can affect the trees production and cut into a grower's income," said Bob Beede, University of California Farm Advisor.
If there's less production then there's less crop available and the prices can certainly go up. But that's not a guarantee either. For now, growers will welcome the colder days and hope for more low temperatures that dip into the thirties.
ag report, pistachio, walnuts, ag watch, carlos saucedo
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices 18 min ago
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Freeze impacts one Valley farmer's tropical fruit harvest
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford 13 min ago
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
14 min ago
- Fresno State Bulldogs get out of practice...
31 min ago
- Online love connection leads to some...
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos